On Thursday we took highway 4 (or route 4 or state road 4 - who knows, they're all the same to me) to see Big Trees State Park. It was only about 40 minutes away and well worth it. I'd been looking forward to this. I just think it's amazing to be standing around hundreds and hundreds of trees of various sizes. Some are only 30 years old (the little ones) and the others are giants (hundreds of feet tall). I felt very dwarfed next to them. The other cool thing to think about was how long some have been there. We're talking hundreds of years. Think of the history of it all. Ok, so I like history. The Lord created all of it. Just imagine it!!! The whole time I was there I just felt the majesty of it all. The scenery was so beautiful with the different shades of brown and green against the deep blue sky.
We had lunch in the ampitheather and then set off on a trail. First we came to the big stump. It was huge. The loggers found the tree and cut it down. They then sent a section of it to Washington DC for them to see. However, many were mad that it was cut. Imagine how tall it would be now it they hadn't. The stump used to be used as a party gathering spot, bowling alley, and other things. It was very interesting. Janna and Justin have a great picture of all 18 of us on it. I'll try to get a copy of it to post.
We then decided to follow a trail guide through the northern trail. To us it was a leisurely walk that was very long. Dan and I enjoyed it. The kids started to get bored after a while. They just didn't appreciate it as much as I did. The other contributing factor was that it was hot and the trail took a while because the guide would stop and talk. The kids were hungry and thirsty. I had brought water in our camel pack and some trail mix, but only one bottle of water, which a bunch of them shared about half way through.
We were there for a while and when the trail ended we found ourselves back at the parking lot where everyone guzzled water and treats. We looked at the gift shop/museum. Can I just say again that it was awesome there!!! I'd go again.
Here's the stump and part of the fallen tree after it was cut. You can't see all of the stump from this vantage point. Sorry.
Ryan, Connor, Justin, and Dan taking a break. This reclined bench had a cool view looking up at the trees.
The only pic of me - yes I was there! The tree next to me is on it's side. We got to walk all the way through it.
A stop along the trail with an awesome view of a bunch of big trees. So beautiful!!
The view from the reclined bench.
The girls were playing London Bridges after we got there. Dan joined in on the fun. He's such a big kid.
My cute Jacob with his "froo nacks"
Because we're human we have to eat.
The ampitheater we picniced in.
A little more enthusians please Justin.Zach with his fruit roll up.Brady, Ashlan, Blake, Aubrey, Maryn, & Jacob on the bear statue outside the museam.They hollowed out this tree years ago for the tourists. They could drive their cars through it.Jacob was all trailed out!!
2 comments:
You guys have been taking some fun trips! It looks so pretty. I love trees.
Awesome pics again!!!!
:)
Post a Comment