Monday, November 10, 2008

7 things

My sis-in-law Suzi tagged me, as well as my cousin Lori and, I admit it, I like tags. I love learning about people. Here's mine:

7 random things about me (and a little about my family).

1. I am a romantic - books, movies, songs, etc. I eat that stuff up. I enjoy comedies and action as well, but nothing speaks to me as loudly as a good chick flick with lovey dovey stuff in it. That's probably why I took to the Twilight series so much. Every girl wants an Edward. Mine is named Dan.

2. I'm not athletic at all. However, I did play volleyball and basketball in young women's and ran cross country in junior high, as well as softball in elementary school. I vaguely remember being on a city running team in elementary school. Let's not go mistaking that with me being good at any of these or anything. Poor Zach has inherited my lack of athletic ability, but he tries hard and wants to do it. Aubrey got it all from Daddy. He can do anything he puts his mind to. Lucky girl. Just because I don't play doesn't mean I don't like any sports. I love Volleyball and Basketball. I love the Olympics. I've slowly been trying to understand Football over the years. I don't know the rules of Soccer and I went to my very first Hockey game earlier this year. I have no clue what that sport is about except that they are encouraged to fight. Apparently that makes a better game for the fans or something. I think that the fans are just like me and don't know what the heck is going on so they need something to entertain them.

3. I love words - especially word games. I guess you could say I'm a little weird. When I'm bored I write down someone's name or a place, short phrase, etc. and make up as many words as I can with the letters. Boggle is my favorite game. No one wants to play with me though. They all think I'm too good at it. Not really. There are plenty of people who blow me out of the water. For example: my sister Julie, Chris & Tera, my Aunt Sue, and I'm sure there's more. I just love to play it. I'm getting Zach and Aubrey to like it.

4. Fall is my favorite season (Spring comes in second). There are many reasons for this. Let's start with the financial one, which is by no means the most important. I don't have to turn on my air or heater. Windows and doors get left open. You all know what that means: small PG&E bills. Fall brings cool weather and bundling up. It's the beginning of fun holidays and cooking scented candles. There's also county fairs, football, leaves changing colors from greens to yellows, oranges, reds, and browns. Dan doesn't have to mow the lawn every week and people are generally happier. The excitement in the air is awesome. I get really busy with my Christmas shopping and get tickled when I imagine the looks on my kid's faces Christmas morning when they see all the fun stuff I've bought them. I can always hear their excitement in my head. Last, but not least, the baking. I love to bake and Fall is when I do it the most. (I'm sure there's many more reasons why Fall is spectacular.)

5. I've never had a "best friend" before. And I've decided that I'm ok with that. We moved a lot, which makes it hard to establish those life long relationships. But, I've had some awesome friends over the years and some awesome ones now. I love people and feel that I could go to any of my friends or family and tell them anything about me. There are a few very close friends that I tell my deepest feelings and secrets to and know I can trust them (as well as my sisters). I feel very blessed to have been surrounded my entire life with such wonderful people. Whether they are family or friends I love them all equally and treasure the memories and present fun.


6. My hair is naturally curly. Although, it hasn't always been so. For a long time my parents wondered if I would ever get hair. When it came it was thin, straight and stringy. My mom gave me a perm when I was 7, which didn't seem like it took. But shortly thereafter my hair started to curl and never went back. It's still thin, but I have a ton of it. I can do the curly look or the straight look, depending on my mood. However, I find that when I leave it curly my hair feels wild and upkept. When it's straight I feel very pretty.

7. What do the words emergency preparedness, 72-hour kit, year's supply, and disaster plan all have in common? Answer: Something devastating. Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. I know the end is coming, but in my happy little world I want to be on the other side when it does. Mean ole Janna likes to tell me that she thinks something big is going to happen in our day and that freaks me out. I know she believes it, but I also think she says it just to freak me out even more. I guess I'll keep her as a friend. A couple of years ago I read the book Life As We Knew It, which dealt with all of this. My first impression was fear, but it also made me think about what to prepare. Dan and I have been trying to get our 1 year supply built up. Right now we could probably make it for about a month. That's without bathing. (Don't worry: I have baby wipes. That's what we use to take a shower when camping.) Something will happen, it's just a matter of when and what. I worry about what the "what" is going to be. Will I have to flee my home? If so, what good is a year's supply anyway?!! Will there be some major earthquake and California drops into the ocean? I have a HUGE fear of drowning. I can handle a disaster. That's if it's just me, but I worry about my kids and the fear they'll have. I worry about not having enough food for them. My hope is that whatever does take place will allow me to stay in my home with my family and all that I've stored. When that runs out I'm walking to Janna's house to eat all of hers. (Note: in that book everyone was alone in their struggles. When Dan was in the High Council he was in charge of Emergency Preparedness. I got to read the stake plan and realized that we won't be alone. We'll have our ward and stake family working together to get through it.)

I tag anyone who wants to do it. Remember I like learning more about you.

Tagged Lucky 7's and Crazy 8's

7 Things I Can Do...

1-BAKE - I love to do it and can make some yummy sugar cookies. My banana bread is divine as well.

2-10 KEY - and really fast too.

3-MULTI-TASK - my boss from Franklin Covey used to complain about me talking on the phone but was quick to add that I got all my work done and then some.

4-MEMORIZE - I have some sort of freakish steel trap for numbers, dates, addresses, etc. My friends call me a walking phone book and calendar. I know many of the birthdays of the kids in our ward.

5-CLEAN - my mom was a drill sargent when it came to chores. She taught us well and I'm thorough. However, this isn't good when I'm trying to teach my kids. I want to redo what they've done. I really have to hold myself back.

6-GET PEOPLE INVOLVED - I'm a bit like my dad: LOUD. I don't like to be the center of attention, but sometimes end up so. I enjoy being with people. When I was the Enrichment counselor in Relief Society I could get so many people to come. We had high numbers. Sometimes that just involved putting them to work or calling them repeatedly until they came so I'd leave them alone. Then they'd laugh and say, "See, I'm here."

7-HELP - I admit that I'm not so eager when it comes to people I don't know or am really busy, but when one of my close friends or family needs help, I go out of my way to make sure they are taken care of, no matter my schedule. I know they'd do it for me and that's why we're on this earth.

7 Things I Cannot Do...

1-PLAY SPORTS - I think this was covered in the first tag.

2-COOK - as in throw something together with just ingredients. I need a recipe and then I'm just fine. I'm amazed at the women in my ward who whip awesome meals together at our Iron Chef enrichment nights with just a handful of ingredients.

3-PLAY - with boys that is. Dan can sit down with Zach and Jacob and play all sorts of stuff. He's so creative. I would need a script.

4-MAKE SOUND EFFECTS - I'm not good at any of that. My poor kids learn that cool stuff from their dad and Uncle Mike (who makes an awesome lion sound by the way).

5-PERFORM - well, maybe it's not that I can't, but don't want to try. I'm not a drama club person and have no desire to be so. I can sing half way decent and have been told I can sing, but you're lucky to get me to sing in public in a group. I'm a fraidy cat.

6-STYLE AUBREY'S HAIR - I've never been a girly girl and her hair styles are limited because I cannot think of anything creative to do. My mind is blocked at a few things. I know the basics of french braiding, but haven't gotten the hang of that yet.

7-WHISTLE - I'm with your Lori. I can't do it either.

7 Things That Attracted me to Dan. . . (to those I'm tagging, change this to your spouse, boyfriend or what you look for in a guy)

1-Active, temple worthy member of the church who holds the priesthood and honors it. That was huge on my list.

2-He's tall, dark haired, and handsome, which I love. I wanted a man taller than me. I love his 6'3" frame.

3-It's vain, but I like his arms and calfs. The muscles are well defined and I think it looks sexy.

4-He's fun to be around and makes me laugh.

5-He's active and athletic.

6-He's motivated, as in, not a couch potato. He doesn't waste his time and does things exceptionally well. If he's laying on the couch, then he must not be feeling well.

7- He's honest and treats me with respect.

7 Things I say Most Often...

1-"Stop messing around and get ready for school!"

2-"Have a good day. I love you and I'll see you after school."

3-"I'm impress-ed."

4-"Go to sleep!"

5-"Stay out of stuff and NO DUMPING!"

6-"You look good today."

7 -"I'm glad you got to see me today."

7 Favorite Foods...

1-JIF peanut butter (oh the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - so yummy)

2-anything dairy, especially milk and cheese

3-anything bread

4-chicken

5-baked potatoes: loaded, except onions

6-brownies

7-chicken tacos w/ refried beans

CRAZY 8'S

8 TV Shows I Like To Watch...

1-LOST

2-most anything on HGTV

3-Gilmore Girls

4–Imagination Movers - we watch a lot of Playhouse Disney and I love this show.

5–The Cosby Show

6–Passport to Europe / South America

7-Frasier

8-Mythbusters

8 Things That Happened Yesterday...

1-I watched Davin and Connor.

2-I picked up the kids from school.

3-I bought 2 birthday presents.

4-I went to Kinko's and made copies of the YW Evening in Excellence programs and detective's notebooks (and marveled at how well my children behaved while in there. SO NOT NORMAL!!)

5-I sat and chatted with Janna while Dan and Justin worked on the bathroom remodel.

6-I started this blog post.

7-I went to bed without taking a Tylenol PM. No headache! YES!!!!!!

8-I fed the missionaries dinner.

8 Favorite Places To Eat...

1-TONY ROMAS - I heard they are all closing. BOO HOO!!!!!

2-ROADHOUSE GRILL - the yeast rolls w/ garlic butter and strawberry lemonade and garlic mashers. Should I go on??!!!!!

3-HOME - I'm a sucker for PB&J. I eat one every day I think.

4-DEL TACO - I love the del beef deluxe burritos and the quesadillas.

5-MARIE CALLENDARS - The corn bread calls my name, as well as the pot pies.

6-CHICK-FIL-A - there's not one here, but I grew up with it. I always get the chargrilled chicken sandwich and load it with mayo, mustard, ketchup and barbecue sauce until it's dripping. Then I mix the remaining 4 condiments together and dip my waffle fries in it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

7-WENDY'S - It's all good to me.

8- CAVEMAN CAVEY'S PIZZA - It's in Frazier Park. They make the best BBQ chicken pizza I've ever had.

8 Things I'm Looking Forward To...

1-The FOOD at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2-Zach being able to babysit.

3-Spending Christmas in Frazier Park.

4-Aubrey's face when she sees what "Santa" brought her.

5-Getting all my family pictures and Christmas letters out.

6-Zach's science fair project being done.

7-Jacob not screaming and hitting me anymore when he's mad.

8-Jacob "staying out of stuff."

8 Things On My Wish List...

1-To get rid of the pile of papers on my dining room floor.

2-My front bathroom remodel to be done and within budget.

3-For my kids to stay strong in the gospel.

4-To think more positively about Aubrey.

5-That the Lord will continue to keep my family safe from the evils of this world.

6-that the passing of Prop 8 will remain for years to come so my kids can be shielded from those evils while at school.

7-that the love the Dan and I have for each other will continue to grow.

8-that my family will be able to dwell with our Father in Heaven in the Celestial Kingdom one day.

8 People I Tag...

1-Kresta

2-Merri

3-Jessica

4-Ashley

5-Brooke O.

6-Ilcy

7-Julie

8-Brooke L.

4 comments:

peter5 said...

What I love is that you didn't tag me. I guess you are a realist. HA

Lisa Miller said...

That's because I'm going to hi-jack your blog again and do a tag for you so everyone will think it's you. Are you nervous about what things I might say???

Jeanette said...

Thanks for posting for Janna! It's great to know what they are up to! And, I have to agree about Fall being your favorite season...it's mine too. At the point when Fall rolls around I am sick of sweating and wearing shorts. I want jeans and cozy sweaters! And the baking! Oh, the baking! Looove it!

Todd and Haylee said...

Those were fun to read!